Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, November 17, 2017

Lost in White Abstraction



“Women think of all colors except the absence of color. 
I have said that black has it all. 
White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.” 
― Coco ChanelChanel

Remember I left you at:

12 x 9 canvas

I liked messing around in the playground of white so I decided to return to this start of a collage.  In the abstract world of art there are certain recognized patterns of design that have proven to be basic to the balance of an abstract.  The cruciform is one of those and you can see it above in the off center cross made from crumpled tracing paper.


some patterns of abstract design

 I went on to finish it:


and before too much evaluation or judgement, I started another:


again, a 12 x 9 canvas


with some soft molding gel I added some texture
which is hard to see in this photo


and...calling it done.

I'm not sure how I feel about these...other than to say I am glad I dabbled.  I really prefer minimalist abstract art and there isn't much about me that is capable of producing "minimalist" anything.  


I don't really feel finished with this experiment and I'm not certain whether it is the lack of an identifiable subject, the absence of strong color or the idea that it doesn't have to "be" anything that appeals to me from an execution standpoint.  I don't think they represent Coco's "perfect harmony" but who knows?  I'm a little too close to really judge at the moment.  Guess I will run it up the flagpole, hold off on banishing them and see where it leads.  They are not secured in the frames so no commitment there.  Let me know what you think.  

Back to the Lab,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.