Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, March 16, 2018

Choosing Vagueness

A painting requires a little mystery,
some vagueness, some fantasy....
Edgar Degas

Yes, that's a repeat quote...it seems to resonate with me these days.  I'm liking my paintings unfinished  or at least more unfinished than I am accustomed.  I'm not sure why...perhaps I like the vagueness or perhaps I am afraid of ruining them with too much forced detail.  But it seems like I want to quit earlier than before.

Here's an example.

On the Marrakech theme: Hiking in the Atlas Mountains was an especially memorable day for many reasons.  One of which was this man shepherding his goats.  He barely moved but his eyes were everywhere and he cautiously watched me as I approached.  I paused to get my breath, survey the goats (who were prancing over the steep mountainside) and I screwed up my courage to indicate via pantomime my question about taking his photo.  He barely nodded.  I clicked.  And we went back to our business.  It was with fond memories I approached this depiction.



roughed in


defining the shadows


calling it done

And I'm going to leave it there.  Perhaps the background could have been even more unfinished.  And by "finished" I mean the "addition of detailed definition."  It is the tendency of many painters to paint every leaf on every tree.  Lately I have been thinking about which trees to indicate and which ones to leave out altogether.  

I will be exploring this "unfinished business" more thoroughly in the weeks ahead.  Maybe I should call it less finished as opposed to more unfinished??  Degas had it correct with "a little mystery, some vagueness..."

Do you like it all spelled out in a painting or do you prefer filling in the details yourself?  

COLOR FULLY EDITING,
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. I like it "less finished," but I think you need a different term. Looser, less defined, or something like that. After all, it IS finished, it just doesn't have hyper detailed realism. I prefer it. It makes me study it more and mentally complete it for myself. I linger longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! "Loose" is a term many artists use. Yet those who do not paint often ask if the piece is finished...meaning, are you going to add detail. So it is a lovely word conundrum that becomes a huge "aha" when a newbie realizes that "unfinished" is really "finished." Thanks for your clarifying input.

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.